Wednesday, April 23, 2014

What I was thinking when I saw Nick again.

It would be months before I saw Daisy's cousin, Nick Carraway, again. I never thought Nick, a man who with privilege, a great education, an ambition to succeed could fall into a steep depression. When I offered my hand, he arms remained frozen to his body while his eyes seemed to go through me. For a moment I felt sorry for him; unfortunately, when he told me how this all happened, my piety ceased. Gatsby's death had greatly affected him. I couldn't understand how Gatsby, above all men, had affected him so terribly. Nick as just as well as I did that Gatsby could never be more than a repulsive, meager, unscrupulous bootleggers. I told him not to feel piety for Gatsby's loss, but rather to rejoice that he has departed from our lives. Astonishingly, he didn't seem to agree. 'What had Gatsby done', I wondered 'that tampered with Nick's ability to judge a well rounded character'.Nick spent a great amount of time with Gatsby, and he couldn't see the man that many people have now came to know. from that moment on Nick and I became strangers to one another. I walked home that evening asking myself over and over the same question: If we would had stayed behind could Daisy had changed to Nick's unruly character? After a while I felt proud that we abandoned our old life in the east, for if we had stayed then wouldn't had been able to move on with our lives.         

4 comments:

  1. Tom, first of all I was not depressed. I was just extremely disappointed to see you. You destroyed the lives of 5 people around you. You and Daisy both did. Daisy killed Myrtle and let Gatsby take the blame. You told George Wilson where to find Gatsby so that he would be killed out of your jealousy at Daisy's for him. Then you left Jordan and I behind to try to pick up the pieces. I ended up having to leave also because of the pain and horrible memories caused by you. You are a sad excuse for a person and that is what caused my reaction to seeing you, not depression.
    - Nick

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tom, you convoluted of the world sickens me. The very sight of you brings back these horrible memories of the past, which I guess does give me fits of depression. For you to harshly judge Gatsby based on what he's done while you lie to your wife, your mistresses and their husbands, and pretend like you are some sort of golden boy is appalling. To be honest Tom, if I never saw you again, I believe I would be a happier man. -Nick

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tom, even telling you this now makes me angry and depressed again. I was not depressed that day. I was sickened by your incredible ignorance to the world around you. And you didn't know Gatsby like I did! You thought him to be a worthless bootlegger who didn't deserve what he had earned. And your arrogance with that?! You inherited your fortune! You had a free-ride through life! Gatsby was a more a man than you will ever be! -Nick

    ReplyDelete