Wednesday, April 23, 2014

Why I left my home in East Egg

The news of Gatsby's death was of little concern to me. My main concern was how his death impacted Daisy. I could have gloated how I was correct on Gatsby's character, but this time I remained silent. Daisy could not hide her feelings from me this time. Gatsby has always had a special place in her heart, and all she could live by now was his memory. I had to take Daisy away from this atmosphere. There were too many memories of Gatsby for Daisy to go on with her life. With his house right across the bay, Gatsby didn't seem that far from Daisy. We moved back to the Midwest so Daisy could get on with her life. She needed to be surrounded with familiar faces she met before Gatsby that could bring her happiness instead of despair. Sadly, that was not the only reasoned we moved away. The uncertainty that someone else knew what happened put my family at stake. If someone knew Daisy had accidentally killed Myrtle, then she would be under more pressure than she is now. Our reputation and good name would fall just like Gatsby did. I did not want this on my family. So, a few days latter, we packed our bags and left East Egg for good.       

1 comment:

  1. Oh Tom, I love you so dearly my beloved! Yes, I did perhaps have special feelings for Gatsby, but those feelings are long gone. He left me and never returned until much later. Then I met you, the absolute love of my life. You provided me with things that Gatsby couldn't. It is perhaps very hard for me to live with the fact that Jay was murdered, but I am moving on and focusing on what matters most, which is our family. I am so glad that we decided to move away. I could not stand to live in that drab city anymore. I still cannot believe that I killed Myrtle, which as you said is another great reason why we moved away. Moving away gives us a fresh, new start and I would not want to spend my life with anyone else but you.

    ReplyDelete